Monday, June 20, 2005

Chapter 37.5: Change of Seasons

Yes, it has been a while since my last entry, but I’m not one of those three-months-and-out bloggers. I’ve begun some transitions in my life, which for me are challenging.

As a person who loves chapters, I recognize that I also like to linger with a bookmark at the end of one and before the next opens. I might look at the first couple sentences or paragraphs, but unless I know I can devote more time, I’ll leave it there until I return. Change doesn’t come as easily to me as I’d like to believe.

I’ve given notice at my current job, and will begin a new one in July. Out of respect, I’ll wait until I begin the new one before I go into any details – and even then I might keep it to myself as far as this blog is concerned. Suffice it to say, I have needed a change for many years. And at this point in my life, I want to seize an opportunity I believe could be very helpful for me and for which I’m uniquely qualified.

It should also help my book, as I’ll be returning to New York and cutting through Hoboken, where much of my novel takes place. Now, if I could also go back in time to 2000/2001, when it takes place, I’d have it made.

Change is happening in the novel too. I’m reworking the opening chapter, which has remained largely intact for the past several years. The writing’s fine, but it doesn’t move people the way it needs to in an opening chapter. I’ll reduce it to flashback and start where the action is. I’m sure my readers will appreciate it.

Change can be good.

No comments: