Friday, February 17, 2006

Chapter 42.99: One of the Good Guys

I recently noticed a piece in the Chicago Tribune about Jimmie Alford, a consultant to nonprofit organizations. I’ve known Jimmie for a decade. He’s a good man, and his firm -- to my knowledge -- is among the most ethical out there. And that means a lot to me.

A few years ago, Jimmie and I jogged several miles along the shoreline of the Puget Sound during the AFP conference. That conversation helped me in many ways; he helped me focus on my personal and professional goals, and he pushed me farther than I thought I could go. Literally, in the sense that we ran more than five miles when I was training on only two miles, and figuratively in that I envisioned several possible futures for myself.

Jimmie’s been stepping back from his daily work schedule these past few years, though I was proud to have him write for me in the magazine I was editing a year ago. I don’t see him completely retiring from the field he’s served for many decades, but he’s done much to help the U.S. nonprofit sector, both in placing strong executives in organizations and helping match donors with groups and causes. Good luck, Jimmie.

No comments: