Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Chapter 62.5: The New Republicans


I find it odd that I'm in agreement more with a couple of Republicans than with the major Democratic presidential candidates -- at least on a couple topics. New York's Mayor Bloomberg -- who I guess can't be considered a Republican now, since he's dropped his affiliation with the party -- and (I can't believe I'm writing this) Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger have outlined centrist positions and called for bridging the political divide. Of course, that's the type of thing that is always talked about during a presidential campaign, but neither of those men are running -- officially.

Personally, I doubt Bloomberg will run. All this recent discussion, and possibly even dropping the Republican affiliation, seem to be timed to his placement on the cover of Time as much as anything else. Of course, speculation about Bloomberg's intentions have been bandied about for months, now -- and he's even egged it on, like the consummate self-promoting business man he is. While I think he'd make an interesting candidate -- perhaps even a likely nominee now that he's officially independent -- I don't think he can win the electoral votes of middle America (read, the Plains states) without being a conservative. I could easily be wrong; I don't live out there. Neither does Bloomberg. And the Governator is simply not eligible, as per the U.S. Constitution. (He was born in Austria.)

I expect Bloomberg will end up doing what he's said he'd do: run a philanthropic organization, which he's been quietly putting together for a while now. Still, it might be relatively easy for him to become Secretary of Treasury (though he's more business man than economist) and return to philanthropy afterward. But even ex-presidents can do impressive things in philanthropy after their political careers are done. Herbert Hoover did, Bill Clinton's foundation is quite active; and without his post-presidential charity work, Jimmy Carter might have become a political footnote instead of one of our greatest former presidents.

No, I think Bloomy will be just a former mayor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1) Bloomberg would be an extrelely viable independent, or third party candidate. Probably the first the country has seen in any of our lifetimes.

2) Thank God for the constitution.