Friday, February 01, 2008

Chapter 72.55: So Begins the Santana Era


It is official, Johan Santana is a Met (ok, pending a physical. So shoot me.)

I found it very interesting that there were multiple reports that the Players Union was pushing Santana's agents to make sure the contract at least reached the $150 million barrier. From what's being reported, he will earn that much from the Mets; the only difference the team might argue is that part of it was due to bonus, but that's a semantic difference in my non-legal opinion. The union's stake in this is irritating to say the least. I realize they're trying to establish new standards to enable their members to maximize their career earnings, and that's what they're supposed to do. But a big part of that comes out of the wallets of the already frustrated fans.

I'll be lucky to afford to attend one game next year. I just can't throw money for a game these days. But I'll want to visit Shea one last time (though if I don't, then Tom Glavine's 298th win would be my final visit.) And when they go to the new ballpark in 2009, the tickets will be even more expensive.

But that's for another time. Right now, I am happy. My favorite team has improved itself. Spring training will start (for the Mets) on Valentine's Day. And like the lovestruck fool that I am, I return to the one who hurt me not so long ago. Ah, frailty, thy name is Mets fan.

No comments: