Sunday, June 22, 2008

Chapter 77.2: A Sense of Normalcy

It's official: Tom Brokaw will take over the hosting duties of Meet the Press, the most important Sunday morning news and public policy show in the United States. Of course, one of the main reasons why it had become so significant is because of the effort the late Tim Russert put into it.

In my post offering my thoughts on Russert's untimely death, I openly pondered whether Brokaw would host. While I didn't come straight out and say it in the blog, Brokaw was who I was hoping would take the job.

To me it makes the most sense. Brokaw is the first person I thought of as capable of doing the job well while maintaining the sense of decorum that it requires (automatically cutting Chris Matthews out) through at least the election. I for one will miss Russert on election night. Brokaw will offer a sense of normalcy to what I suspect will be yet another odd election. At least President Bush can't win this time.

Soldier on, Mr. Brokaw, and I wish you well. America is watching and looking for you to pick up that torch and carry it forward.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This election won't seem right without Tim Russert! And how are the politically inept such as myself supposed to make good decisions about the candidates without Tim explaining (or more to the point translating) what the heck everyone is saying! I do agree though, Tom Brokaw is the obvious choice and I for one wish him all the best. Tim Russert is a hard act to follow!