Saturday, August 16, 2008

Chapter 78.4: Is Glavine Done?

Though the 2007 baseball season is long since finished, Mets fans have not forgetten the terrible way it ended. After weeks of bullpen failures and a lack of clutch hitting, John Maine took a no-hitter deep into the game, and while he wasn't able to toss the first no-no in Mets history that day, he was able to win the game and get the Mets back into a tie for first place.

The next day, Tom Glavine couldn't get out of the first inning.

So, while it may not be fashionable among Mets fans, I was saddened to read that his career may be over. Glavine's injured elbow has caused him to shut it down for 2008, and he hopes the Braves will take him back in 2009; he doesn't want to play anywhere else, he said.

Though I've never met him, I have a lot of respect for Tom Glavine. He always worked hard, he answered reporters' questions, and he genuinely seemed to understand a fan's perspective. Plus, he is and will always be a family man. Some of these players talk about how a decision has to make sense for their family, but then they take a few million dollars more to go elsewhere. He did it too, but for some reason, I believe his family meant more to him than the money.

I was proud to see him win his 300th game as a Met. I'm happy he played for my favorite team and that I saw him pitch a few times.

So if this is the end, I'm sad for him and for baseball. But I don't think he's too worried. He's got a family that loves him and he's got nothing to be ashamed of overall — not even that last 1/3 of an inning in 2007 (though I didn't think that at the time).

No comments: