Saturday, November 01, 2008

Chapter 80.5: It Has Begun

Ordinarily, this would be something I'd post on the Elephant's Bookshelf, but I think it qualifies as worth noting here at my Coffee Cup, too. Plus, my last post there was about National Novel Writing Month, anyway, so I'm going to share the wealth. (Or should that be "redistribute the wealth"?)

For all those who aren't aware, NaNo WriMo has begun. Throughout this thirty-day month, tens of thousands of masochists all around the world will work on new novels (well, even that isn't an ironclad rule; I've heard of one writer who plans to do fifty 1,000 word short stories. Now that's masochism!) I've already begun and posted about 740 words to my tally, and I'll add more today. The morning is young!

And I even have some energy yet to share this news with all of you. So, if you're a fellow Wrimo, feel free to say hi here or at the Elephant's Bookshelf. I'd love to hear from you (I'm "Elephantguy" in Wrimo land), but I suspect you're dedicating your writing to your actual book. Good luck everyone. It's time for coffee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have typed some words. Not 50,000, but at least a start. Trick #1 is to get started. Trick #2 is to habituate one's practice of the craft. Stage 1 is in very initial stages. Thanks for the challenge, which has thus far achieved the same as similar marathon challenges to you; i.e some activity, at least. Good exercise.

Bob

Matt Sinclair said...

Excellent! Good for you and congratulations. I have topped 15,000 and will continue to write today -- November 30, the final day of National Novel Writing Month.

But as you know, this is a book I'll continue to work on. You're right, it's all about getting into the habit of writing, or running, or exercising, or taking care of oneself. Tomorrow begins National Novel Continuation Month (I won't offer an abbreviation for that one, however.)