Saturday, August 27, 2011

Chapter 90.2: Volunteer Spirit

In a couple weeks, our nation will recognize the tenth anniversary of one of the most horrifying attacks on its soil. I live not too far from New York City. These days, I work in Manhattan, a quick subway ride away from the area now known as Ground Zero. Ten years ago, it was just "the trade center" and it describes a larger area than most non-New Yorkers realize.

Those who know me well are aware that I'm an emergency medical technician (EMT) and have been for more than half my life. So, 9/11 hit me differently than it did for a lot of other Americans. I lost a friend that day and remain very thankful I didn't lose more. But this year will be a little different. Not only is it the tenth anniversary of that fateful day, but I'm also assigned to my squad duty that day. I don't expect anything tragic to happen to mark the day. But if it does, I have my training and experience to fall back on as well as the assistance of many able fellow volunteers.

You don't have to be an EMT to serve your community; it's my way, I don't expect it to be everyone's. But I hope that if you're able you'll find a way to volunteer your time, either on that day or on other days. Regardless of what your political positions might be, volunteering is mostly about helping to better your community or society. We're still months off from New Year's Resolutions, but maybe you can resolve to squeeze in a bit of volunteering into your life. You may find it's a wonderful way to improve not only your community but your perspective. Good luck. Stay safe.

No comments: