Friday, March 11, 2005

Chapter 33.3: Starting Slow

I can't say anything about the nascent baseball season has caught my attention yet. At this point in March I'm usually paying attention to learn which young players to watch and which team will be the surprise that catches their division asleep. (I think it's the Mets, actually, but they're not a huge surprise.)

But with all the discussion about steroids I'm simply not that interested. I probably am a hypocrite, because I believe the biggest problem with baseball right now is that fans are willing to give cheaters a pass. Yet, here I am saying 'I don't care, just start playing.'

I've looked at the Mets early schedule, and I think they could post a strong April and early May, especially if they put their pitching rotation the way I think they will. But it all remains to be seen. Perhaps the Marlins won't be as strong as I think they could be. I expect the Braves to win the division again, and I think the Mets aren't capable of more than 89 wins -- and that's a stretch in my view.

But right now I don't care. Is this part of what happens during a mid-life crisis? Hard to say. This is my first go-round as far as I'm aware. Perhaps I need spring instead of this crazy, disgusting weather: 58 one day, 28 and snowing the next. Give me a break! I need a vacation like no other time in my life. Not happening yet, however.

No comments: