Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Chapter 36.2: Vacating Myself

Ok, there's a weak play on words in the title of this entry: I'm talking about vacation, but I'm also talking about getting out of the self I've become recently. In addition to the previously mentioned increase in my blood pressure, I'm stressing out a lot. I need to calm myself down, and a couple days out of the office this week and a few more before the holiday weekend will help to that end.

It's not a lot of time - probably not enough to reduce my stress, anyway - and I have goals that might be unattainable for the time off and won't strike everyone else as vacation: getting my book back into shape now that I've proofed and edited things, writing freelance items with deadlines looming, and attending to household tasks like mowing the lawn and cleaning the gutters. Surprisingly, that stuff can relax me. (No, I'm not doing it for anybody else's house.)

I want to be able to read on the front porch with a can of beer beside me. I want to strum my guitar and perhaps start writing a few songs again. I want to jog with spring air in my lungs. I want to lie awake listening to my wife breath before the alarm sounds. I won't answer phones. No constant email updates for a few days. To hell with everyone else. Leave me a message, I'll get to it.

What's that old joke: How do you make God laugh? Tell him your plans for tomorrow.

No comments: