Sunday, September 18, 2005

Chapter 40.4: Changing Seasons

The Mets are done. This is not a dramatic revelation, especially after they were swept at home by the Washington Nationals. My only interests at this stage are that they finish above .500 and that the Mets fans continue to show respect for Mike Piazza, who is likely playing his final games as a Met. Some guy calling into WFAN a few months back I thought made an excellent point. He said the Mets have not done very well in showing their appreciation for their falling stars. Keith Hernandez and Gary Carter kept playing for a year or more after they left the Mets, and not much was done to thank them for their contributions. I don't honestly remember much of their waning days with the Mets; I was still in college and unable to see many games. But the management seemed to just let them leave. They'll likely do the same for Piazza. I think it's reasonable to think he'll find a job as a designated hitter for some AL team next year, which would make it harder for the team to do something -- but not impossible. Heck, I believe Harold Baines had his number retired by the White Sox and he continued to play for another decade -- including returning to the Sox.

I don't expect the Mets to do that, not now. They may eventually retire his number, but I don't expect it to happen in the next three weeks.

I have no answer. I think that it's enough for now that the fans keep cheering Piazza's accomplishments and let him know what he's meant to the club these past several years. He may not have thrown out many runners but he clubbed a lot of homers and was at the center of a lot of happy memories for Mets fans. He brought credibility to the Mets of the late 90s and was a real threat in the lineup for several years. His hey day is behind him, but he's a hall of famer. Good luck, Mike.

No comments: