Monday, September 26, 2005

Chapter 40.6: Wasting Time

I haven't posted in a while, so for the sake of continuity I thought I'd pass along some random comments that will likely mean nothing to anyone.

I'm ready for baseball's post season, but I don't have any emotional investment in the teams that are likely to be playing. Even the Red Sox, who were a natural team to root for as a Yankee-hater, don't bring out the same urgency since they won last year. And they're not even definitely in the post-season.

I suppose if the White Sox make it I'll root for them, as it's been many decades since they've won a World Series. But they've collapsed and limped into a possible post-season spot. If nothing else, the series between them and the Cleveland Indians should be exciting (if it's still a contest), and the Yankees-Red Sox series the same weekend should be full of juice as well. Perhaps the current San Diego Padres/San Francisco Giants series will strike up enough tension, but it's hard to root for whichever team would win the division with a less than .500 record. What a sorry state of affairs that is.

I hope to write up my own predictions of the playoffs this weekend.

Now that fall has arrived, I'm enjoying the weather as I can. The commute means I'm getting home in much the same sunlight as when I left in the morning. I might get to jog once or twice a week on the weekends. Somehow, that doesn't matter as much this year as it has in the past. Once the November days arrive I'll turn my thoughts to preparing for 2006. With a new job and a new outlook, I believe I can really make plans: for the novel and for its successors; for a vacation; for anything that comes along.

No comments: