Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Chapter 40.75: Championship Series

Astros vs. Cardinals: Well, some surprises, but it’s not as though the Padres won. As I (and probably every other baseball fan outside of San Diego) predicted, the Cardinals swept into the NLCS and will face the Astros. This should be quite a series, but after the 18 inning game, I wonder whether there’ll be any residual effect on the Houston pitching staff. The Cardinals were the better team throughout the season, so I believe they’ll come through again, but it should be an excellent series. My prediction: Cardinals in 6.

Angels vs. White Sox. The White Sox won their first post-season series since 1917. That’s nice. Enjoy it, Sox, because while I’m rooting for you, I don’t think you’ll be able to top the Angels. It’s not because they beat the Yankees, because I think the Bombers were ready to fall – didn’t have the horses this year, or rather too many of their horses are heading to the glue factory. (Yes, I predicted the Yankees would win, but I don’t think I minimized the abilities of the Angels) No, the Angels are a quality team. They have hitting and pitching. Their concern, now, however, is whether Bartolo Colon is able to return. I’ve not read anything yet, so I don’t know how serious the injury is. But that uncertainty is the reason I’m making this series as close as I think it’ll be. Angels in 6.

Just looking back at my predictions: I did better with the National League, where my outcomes were exactly accurate in terms of who and how many games it’d take. I think my prediction of the Astros/Braves series being exciting was fairly prescient too, though I certainly couldn’t have expected the thriller to close it out. I was not surprised the White Sox won – well, ok, I’m a little surprised – but I was amazed that they swept past the World Series champions. Who knows, perhaps we’ll wipe out another curse this year. And in 2006 it’s time to slay the billy goat.

No comments: