Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Chapter 42: MTA Strike

The city is much calmer without busses. I expected the NJ Transit train to be packed with people, perhaps to the point where I couldn’t find a seat. While there were a few more people than usual, the train ran without event, like any other day.

But this isn’t quite like other days. New York City is not quite as bustling as it was yesterday, and no one knows what sounds we’ll hear tomorrow. Will there be an agreement, or will hundreds of industries be affected by the decision to strike? I’m not informed enough about the union’s position on pensions to hazard a guess. I’m all for people standing up for what they believe is right as they struggle to survive during a difficult economy. But this morning, before the work day really starts to move, I’m enjoying the solitude.

No comments: