Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Chapter 41.7: Simmering Hot Stove

I’m pleased with what Omar Minaya has accomplished already this off-season. I’m fine with the Paul LoDuca acquisition, though I’d like to know who he actually gave up for him. I’ve heard mixed reports on the kid pitcher that’s reportedly in the deal, and I’ve heard nothing about who the other player is. LoDuca has skills that should work well with the staff. His throwing isn’t much better than Piazza’s was, but he probably won’t bounce as many balls into the outfield or off the infield grass (though I don’t really know that, and he had a mediocre to poor fielding percentage).

Perhaps the Mets will be able to use Castro enough that whatever funk LoDuca goes into after the all-star break (.191 average in September last year) can be off-set. I’m assuming he gets tired. Might not be the problem.

This pitching staff is not final, though, as the recent rumors of Kris Benson moving on to Kansas City (a.k.a. baseball purgatory) suggest. One name I’m not hearing much this winter is Aaron Heilman. I was impressed with his second half last year – especially for the reactions batters had. They hated facing him. I hope Omar keeps this guy. Starter, set-up man. Whatever he’s doing, he’s going to be an important part of the staff.

On another note: Good luck, John Olerud. Not a bad career for a guy who kept his helmet on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks, said this week that the Rocket hasn't decided if he will pitch again next season, and probably won't decide until at least late January.

Props for a hall of fame career, but its time for the Astros to say thanks for the memories, don't let the door hit you on your way out. Clemens has had over a month to ponder his future. Of course he is coming back. His giant ego would never allow for an exit that was not filled with a season long fanfare and the proper level of butt kissing from every ball park he visits. Clemens is doing a very selfish thing and is not doing the Astros any favors. I say good riddence. Some might say he has earned the right and it is his life. I say phooey to that, stop jerking the team around. I dream of a scenario where Clemens begs to come back and the league says no thanks, except for rookie money. If Clemens is not as Astro next year, I sure hope the Mets show him the hand.

Matt Sinclair said...

I believe Clemens will be back with the Astros as of May 1, the first day he can sign with his former team. He's already commited to the World Baseball competition, which begins in March, so he'll be in shape. I think he'll focus on that and he'll be in shape to pitch come May. There's rumors -- in Boston and elsewhere -- that Clemens might rejoin the Red Sox. Personally, I think it's slightly more possible that Theo Epstein will return than the Rocket, but he might like to conduct the aforementioned season-long fanfare (the second he'd receive, since he got one in 2003; I was proud to stand for his departure in Game 7 of the ALCS thinking his career was over before Grady Little allowed Pedro to stay on the hill too long). In my view, Clemens will do whatever he wants to do. He doesn't have to come back, but I see him tallying more than 350 wins before he finally stands at Cooperstown to accept his accolades.