Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Chapter 44.5: Not Quite as Old…

I played softball last night –- my first game ever on Ward’s Island –- and we won, 8-7. From my post at third base I could watch tug boats direct larger ships down the river. I’ve heard there’s usually a smell off the water, but last night was quite nice.

The field itself was a work in progress –- literally. Construction in right field and an outfield that was being reseeded and composed of loose soil gave the outfielders fits, as did a background of speckled sunlight.

For myself, I hit a double in my first at bat and scored our first run. In my final at bat, in the bottom of the sixth, I drove in a run, bringing us within one; I later scored the tying run. Yet, it’s the second at bat, where I flied out with runners on first and third, that I’m still thinking about. In other leagues, I’m used to softballs that fly off the bat, but these died soon after they were hit. While I’ve played with restricted flight softballs, these seemed to have no flight. It was the most solid hit I had during the game, yet it was just a pop out.

My back is a little sore this morning, but I can tolerate that, knowing I’m still able to play and help my team win.

No comments: