Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Chapter 46.2: Thank God

On the PATH train this morning, I noticed something refreshing that I think bodes well for the reading public. I did not see a single copy of The DaVinci Code. I think we’ve gotten through the worst of the hype, and not a moment too soon. The DVD will surely annoy us all by Christmas (and, seriously, what more appropriate Christmas present could there be?), but the summer should be relatively free of Grail Lore and Magdalene Mysteries.

Perhaps this sounds strange coming from a Sinclair, since, after all, we are the true descendents of Christ, but I’m just sick of it all. Yes, I read the book -– two or three years ago -– which I found intriguing but ultimately disappointing. A book with art at its heart was paint-by-numbers artless. I don’t know what the French word for “sugar candy” is, but it would describe it well. The story ran through me like grass goes through a goose. And I saw the movie. It adhered pretty closely to the book.

But I said intriguing, and I mean it. For me, the idea of a married Jesus doesn’t seem too outlandish. Since my early days in Catholic school, I’ve been taught that God loved us so much that He sent His son to earth to be one of us, i.e. human. When in Rome …

To me, the thing that people clung to in the book was the idea that Jesus was more human that our religion teachers, priests and ministers, and our friends who are Jewish have ever let on. He loved women enough to trust them to run things and be an important part of his life. Ultimately, I think that if we look closely enough we’d start to understand that the Holy Grail isn’t necessarily the bloodline passed through one woman, but the bloodline of humanity, of which women are an important, integral part.

No comments: