Saturday, August 19, 2006

Chapter 47.9: Math Yoda

I'm currently reading a book by John Allen Paulos called Innumeracy. It's brilliant. I didn't realize how much I've been looking for an approachable book on mathematics -- approachable not only by those who have no clue about both the importance and the beauty of math, but also those who, like me, consider themselves "numerate." I will go into more detail when I finish the book and add a post on my other blog, The Elephant's Bookshelf, but I think I may be able to satisfy one of my personal life goals of returning to teaching by the age of 40 while also evolving as a writer and editor. Over the next year, I'm going to look into and, if feasible (which is an important question given how I think it should be done) develop a small math tutoring line of work for myself. I'd take on just a few students and help them to understand math the way it should be understood: beautiful, elegant, practical, important. I would hope to instruct students through music, literature, poetry, history, as well as through the techniques students already are aware of. Math should not frighten students. In fact, if they can grasp just a fraction of what I hope to teach, they'll be able to gain confidence in all their studies and become well-rounded students.

No comments: