Sunday, October 15, 2006

Chapter 49.8: World Serious

I remain hopeful about my Mets. Yes, Oliver Perez is not who I would have envisioned as the team's October savior, but that's what we need him to be today. Well, that's overstating it. We need him to be better than Anthony Reyes and we need the hitters to mollywhop the Cardinals pitchers. ... emphasize pitchers, plural.

Darren Oliver did yeoman's work last night in keeping the rest of the pen rested, but in order for the Mets to have a chance, Perez needs to pitch at least 5, preferably 6 innings today. If it's 7-6 Mets after five, I'd be ok with that if Perez hasn't caused the pen to be overworked.

As for the American League, those Tigers are going to be tough to beat, Mets or Cardinals. Whichever NL team makes it to the World Series, I have to give the cats the advantage. They've got the pitching, they've got offensive power, and their manager is going to have them prepared for whatever confronts them. My initial prediction, subject to revision: World Series Champion Tigers, winning the series four games to one.

No comments: