Friday, December 22, 2006

Chapter 53.33: Earworms

This morning I woke up with an odd earworm digging through my brain. You know what an earworm is: that song that keeps playing in your mind. You can't shake it easily, and like the old fable about ridding the city of mice, anything you use to change songs immediately becomes a new problem.

This morning, I awoke with a song by Tom Lehrer -- the 1960s musical satirist and math professor -- called "The Folk Song Army." Only, it wasn't the entire song; I could only remember lines. It was bad enough to have a song in my head, but worse still to not remember it properly. So I tried to push it out with Christmas tunes. Bad idea! I soon was whistling "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and "It's Beginning to Look Like Christmas." It wouldn't stop.

Of course, now that I've brought this topic back up, I have songs running through my head. This is not what I intended.

No comments: