Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Chapter 71.6: There's No Crying in Politics


There may be no crying, but there certainly seems to be political capital in coming close to crying. Hillary Clinton has taken New Hampshire, surprising me and probably a lot of Americans who were starting to think that the Obama Express was getting into gear and powering up for an impressive spring. That still may happen, but Sen. Clinton clearly isn't done.

What surprised me more than Clinton's victory in the primary, however, was that there were voters who were swayed by her emotional answer about how hard the campaign slog can be and why she is still doing it. I don't believe it was forced; I accept that she has finally found her voice, as she said later. But she'll need to back that up with an even more grueling schedule ahead of her. And I don't think for a second that Sen. Obama is going to concede anything either.

No comments: