Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Chapter 72.4: Thank You, Omar


It's a long, long baseball season, and even months in first place doesn't guarantee that your team will be there at the end. Case in point: the 2007 Mets.

But my Mets have taken a much needed and long awaited step toward absolution for the 2007 season by acquiring a man who may be the best pitcher in baseball. Johan Santana, a two-time Cy Young Award winner, is on the brink of joining the Mets. All that stands in the way is a multi-million dollar contract, which is expected to land in the realm of $150 million for seven years. By the time the new stadium opens next year, I'll count myself lucky to still be able to afford to watch them play on television.

But I can always read a paper, and I look forward to recounting around twenty wins next season and perhaps even another Cy Young Award for Mr. Santana. Welcome to New York, Johan. We're happy to see you. Now win.

No comments: