Sunday, August 08, 2004

Chapter 16.2: The slate

Had a unique experience today -- unique for me. A friend's son is filming a movie. It's a small film, done on a budget of less than $1,000. None of the actors are paid (unless the film sells, I guess). The son, Ryan, has said repeatedly that he'll give me a cameo appearance. I don't need a cameo, but I do enjoy watching him film. Today, as one of the crew members had to leave to pick up an actor at the train station, I was put to work. My moment in the sun was a brief clap of the slate, having marked the scene.

Who knows, this experience may lead to a film version of my novel, once it's actually done. I printed out nearly 200 pages today; that's about two-thirds of the story, I suspect. If I reach my goal of completing the first draft this year, then I'll be able to assess the "filmability" of it better. I already see it in my head, but it would be incredible to see it on screen.

No comments: