Saturday, August 14, 2004

Chapter 16.5: Old Friends

We're going to visit friends that we haven't seen since their wedding, nearly a year ago. I was the best man; you'd think we'd have seen more of each other. I take the blame. Busy schedules be damned, friends are precious.

I've seen many friends simply fade into memory of decades past, and these are people who are more than Christmas card acquaintances. Dave and I played baseball together as kids. I caught his first varsity win and several others. When he experimented with a knuckle ball, I was the guy putting down the odd sign I'd never used for any other pitcher. His wife, Anita, I don't know as well. We've met only a handful of times. But she's a wonderful person and knowing him as well as I do, I'm sure she is the perfect partner to his life.

I'm looking forward to this night. It's an evening of being both a kid and an adult. We can enjoy a meal together, share a bottle of wine, and talk about the past, the present, and the future. Simple pleasures are usually the best.

No comments: