Monday, August 09, 2004

Chapter 16.3: ... Different Day

Sometimes a day doesn't make any difference at all. Don't listen to those happy-go-crazy morons who prattle on and on about ways to improve your life. Better than nine times out of 10, can you honestly say today isn't pretty much what you expected it to be? Assuming you're a "middle-class American" like myself, you got up out of bed, put your clothes on, worked, and eventually went back to sleep. Along the way you ate, had a bunch of conversations, most of which ultimately meant nothing by the time you returned to your bed, and there were probably a few fantasies mixed into the day. Daydreams about what you'd do with no financial worries, sexual fantasies, or simple "where would I rather be now" moments.

Sure, life changes all the time, and it's impossible to know everything that's going to happen before it occurs. People will die suddenly, cars will collide, arguments will flare into nasty confrontations. But it's rare that three tomorrows from now, nine tomorrows from now, you will recognize how these moments altered you.

A bird flew into the front of my car yesterday. I was upset as I saw its body bounce on the road behind me, like some random soda can on the street. I had almost forgotten about it 12 hours later. But at the moment it occurred, it was all that mattered; if not for my driving before 7 a.m. on a sleepy Sunday, I could have had an accident. Perhaps this incident doesn't make a difference for the rest of my life. I have no idea. Maybe I needed that moment to remind me how precious life is -- though I think the two first aid calls that day would have helped accomplish that too.

There are countless "what-ifs" I could associate with that poor dead bird. Ultimately, we all find our final resting spot. Hopefully I'll make a difference before then. I guess I did for that sorry bird.

1 comment:

Matt Sinclair said...

Looking back on this post months later, I realize that I remember the bird more than the first aid calls.