Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Chapter 19.7: American Fool

Caught John Mellencamp on Letterman last night. I've been out of the loop when it comes to his recent music. But back in the late '80s and early '90s, he was the quintessential American pop songwriter in my mind -- even moreso than Bruce Springsteen. His voice came from middle-America, his values seemed to be those of the people of the soil. And with the jangle of mandolin, the sweet lacing of fiddle strings, and a jumpy accordian part or two, a song by John (don't call me Cougar) Mellencamp was immediately identifiable and often memorable.

Last night, the sound was still there. But who the hell was the guy in the zoot suit? How much jell did he have slicking back his hundred-dollar haircut? Did I miss the episode of Queer Eye when they made over Mellencamp? When did he become John Cougar Metrosexual?

I realize he's getting older, but Mellencamp looked like a cross between Wayne Newton, Don Henley and a light bulb. This is the man who sang "Rain on the Scarecrow"?

In the music world, image often is everything. Good luck in Vegas, Mr. Mellencamp. It was nice knowing you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

he had slicked back hair since the late 80s. You had better start watching VH1

Matt Sinclair said...

I guess, but his look (in my mind, at least) was with long hair. To be honest, it was his music that mattered most to me, but he looked so "my career is over" on Letterman.

Matt Sinclair said...

... I guess I was more out of the loop about his image than I realized. It's been a while since I watched VH1.