Friday, October 22, 2004

Chapter 20.1: Boston Grows Up

I read a story in today's (10/22/04) New York Times that included a description of the Red Sox as the "little brother" of the Yankees. After an experience I had yesterday, I think that's a fair characterization.

I must offer this caveat in the interest of full disclosure: I am a Mets fan, always have been and I suspect I always will be. I wore my Red Sox cap yesterday as I have been throughout the series between the two arch rivals. It's more an "anti-Yankees" hat than a reflection of my devotion to the Bean Town Nine.

Yesterday I walked into a pizza place to get a slice, wearing my Sox cap. Initially, I got a few comments from the guys behind the counter and some stares from other customers. (One guy behind the counter said, "You're wearing that hat in here?") Soon, however, the pizza guys gave me respect. They quickly showed their true baseball grit by congratulating the Red Sox. They knew their team had been beaten, and it had happened on their field.

I thanked them and waited for my slice to emerge from the oven. When it was ready and I was paying for it, one of the pizza guys said, "In all seriousness, is the curse just about beating the Yankees or winning the World Series?"

"The World Series," I said.

He thanked me and said, "Good luck. I hope you win it." And I felt he was sincere.

For the first time since I was a kid hating to watch my Mets finish in last place -- not even having a shot at contending when they moved north from spring training -- I kept my true allegiance a secret. In fact, maybe it's the first time ever, because I never really hid my being a Mets fan from anyone. But I didn't say it in the pizza place. I knew the respect they were showing there was sincere, and my insincerity of wearing a Red Sox cap that I didn't truly deserve would have been an insult. I didn't want to disrespect them; they deserved better.

Yankee fans, the ones I've talked to in the 36 hours, have been respectful of the Red Sox. It's like the little brother has grown up and gotten a place of his own. My estimation of the true Yankee fan has been raised.

Perhaps the Mets were above the Red Sox before, but now they've fallen behind. The Mets lost in the World Series four years ago. The Yankees -- particularly Derek Jeter -- were respectful and classy and honored their fallen opponent. Now the Yankees have fallen. And by virtue of the Red Sox victory, the Mets seem to have been relegated to third place in New York.

I'm ready for the comments now. I'm a Mets fan. I'm rooting for the Red Sox, but the Yankees ... Derek Jeter, Joe Torre, Mo Rivera, Jorge Posada, Bernie, Matsui, Mussina ... you guys are professionals. I tip my Mets cap to you.

2 comments:

Matt Sinclair said...

My sister sent this to me, though she's not the original author; that was someone else in her office, who relayed it from another... Regardless, it's a funny story related to the Yankees/Red Sox relationship...

As recounted by a friend who was there.

"I was standing in a subway token booth line at Grand Central at 5:00 p.m. the night of the Sixth Game. Three rabid Red Sox Fans, dressed in full Red Sox drag, were in front of me.

"What train do we take to the stadium?" one of them yelled into the clerk's booth.

"The 7, upstairs, four stops," the clerk replied.

As the fans raced off, I locked eyes with the clerk. He knew that I knew he had just sent them to Shea Stadium in Queens. As he refilled my Metro Card, he asked softly,

"Does that make me a bad person?"

Anonymous said...

Note in the NYT this AM that Reggie Jackson praised the "real Yankees", leaving off notable names such as Alex (the curse of A-Rod) Rodriguez and Gary Sheffield.