Saturday, July 21, 2007

Chapter 64.25: Life and Chaos and the Fun They Both Create

The other day, in the random way that makes the Web so interesting, I discovered a speech by an advertising executive. In his somewhat crude way, he spoke about the appeal of chaos and how it leads to creativity. "Chaos is the only thing that honestly wants you to grow," wrote Dan Wieden (who I don't know anything about, other than this particular speech). Personally, I don't think "chaos" has any thought in the matter at all, but I've been in the publishing field long enough to know not to expect literal truth or honesty from an ad man, for whom the "perception of reality" is what matters. Yet, the statement is intriguing, nonetheless. Growth can come from chaos. Leaders emerge from chaos, just as victims are left for dead from chaos.

I don't agree with everything the man said. For instance, he states that the priorities of his agencies: the work, the client/agency relationship, yourself. My work is important to me; I believe that the stories I am writing and will write will last and help other people in ways I'll never know. But even if my work could touch and bring joy to millions of people, if I were to fail my wife or my family, I'd have a tough time looking at myself in the mirror. Still, I know where this guy's coming from; my work is part of myself. I can see it no other way.

While reading the speech, I was reminded of one of John Lennon's last songs, in which he sang "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." My wife and I are busy making plans for the future -- things I won't go into on a Web site that gets visitors from all over the world (thanks, Google Analytics, for showing the reach of my random thoughts!). And Life is happening. To achieve what we hope to achieve, we'll have to work even harder than we already are working.

So as the second half of 2007 unfolds, I raise my coffee cup to chaos. Right back at-cha, dude.

No comments: