Monday, July 09, 2007

Chapter 63.8: What's Happening?

My train this morning was delayed -- a New York train ahead of it was about 15 minutes late -- so we were late into Hoboken. When we arrived, a large crowd congregated at the head of the stairs to the PATH trains below. I took another route down, but still met with a line of people. When I finally got onto the platform, I saw one 33rd Street train packed to the gills with people and crowds of humanity standing around, looking confused. I asked a man if any announcement had been made about the delay. "Two Amtrak trains are blocking the way into New York," he said. I nodded and my mind was awhirl. Was it worse than that? What would I find when I entered New York. July 7 was the anniversary of the underground attacks in London. Am I safe?

So far, I am. I don't know yet what happened. Perhaps it was just two trains blocking the way into New York. Or maybe it's simply Monday after people have taken vacation.

No comments: