Thursday, August 09, 2007

Chapter 65.6: Parasolar Power

I saw something today I’ve not seen for ... well, I’m not sure I know how long it's been, exactly. But a woman was walking up Fifth Avenue carrying a parasol. For those who didn’t grow up watching Bugs Bunny cartoons or enjoying films depicting the late 19th century and early 20th century, parasols are like umbrellas but designed to block the sun. (The word literally means "for the sun" in Spanish.)

A co-worker uses what looks like a golf umbrella that’s designed to reflect sunlight away from the umbrella and cool the person beneath. Considering the climate change concerns that are so often in the news these days, I suspect we'll see a lot more of these items. I doubt guys will start cruising for chicks by walking down the sidewalk to tip their bowlers at the pairs of women carrying their parasols as they head to the marketplace, like they did long before my parents were born, but I predict pedestrians of the not-so-distant future will look different than they do today. Different accessories, for example. Perhaps Apple can create an "iPodasol" that would allow users to listen to their favorite songs while exercising and keeping out of the sun. They should design it so solar power can keep the device charged throughout the day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous girl!