Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Chapter 66.65: A Different Kind of Monument


Although I love Dublin, it's been more than a decade since I last visited. In my absence, the city has erected a monument on O'Connell Street, which is the main drag of the capital city, and a road I walked almost daily when I went to school at Trinity.

I didn't know about the monument until I read the piece in Slate. But now I have one more reason to return. It sounds very interesting and is essentially nothing at the same time -- like a Beckett play. Has anyone out there seen the Dublin Spire? Please share your thoughts. Cool? Overhyped? Mysterious? Stupid? What say you?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt: isn't there something very phallic [sic] about this new bldg don't you think?

Hope all is well-talk to you soon!

Matt Sinclair said...

Just another prick on O'Connell Street ;-)

Anonymous said...

Well I defintely don't need to go to Ireland to find one of them! Shoot driving the 3 miles to my house from work I run into at least 12+!

Although being married to an Irishman (by decent-believe it or not with the last name Lopez, Frank is 3/4 Irish we figure)-I will be visiting one day!

By the way....Happy Anniversary!

Matt Sinclair said...

Thanks! One of these years, we'll have to get over there ourselves. Hard to believe, but my wife of Irish descent has never been there either. Though, considering how many Irish pubs we've been to in New Jersey and elsewhere, that's got to count for something!

Anonymous said...

I'm holding you too that (the visit I mean)-our door is always open! And we have the nicest guest room(s)....

Plenty of Irish pubs here also, and anything else Irish you may be wanting!