Sunday, September 30, 2007

Chapter 67.3: Choke!

They're done. So here's what I think we're looking at for over the off-season:

I don't know the contract status of all the guys, but I believe that many current players will be gone. For example, Paul LoDuca is in the final year of his contract, and unless he's willing to take a shorter-term contract than I suspet he wants, I'd say it's time to wish him well. And keep Ramon Castro.

Carlos Delgado looks done to me. His bat's slower and he just doesn't look right. Perhaps we'll learn he was hurt all year or something, but I fear he's simply on the downside of his career.

Luis Castillo: keep him -- or if necessary, re-sign him. He's been a solid pickup, and I'd like to see what he can do in a full season.

Jose Reyes: There's something going on. I don't know what it is, but his mind is not on baseball. He's still an electrifying player. But something went wrong and the Mets need him to be on his game again.

David Wright: More and more, he's become THE star of the team. He obviously remains and I believe he'll improve.

OF: Moises, the Mets have an option for $7.5 million, take it and sign him. Beltran, another quiet but successful season. Milledge: trade him. Get some pitching. His attitude and histrionics are a problem. But he has value. Get some pitching.

Pitching is the problem. Pedro is still worth keeping, Glavine is a big question mark. It's up to him whether he plays, but I think he's only going to be a Met. If he chooses to, then he's worth some amount as a back-end starter. But I think it's time for him to retire. John Maine is still a valuable player, I'm not sure about Oliver Perez, but he's probably ok. El Duque is done. He's unable to sustain himself for a full season. Mike Pelfrey, I just don't know. If he gets packaged in a deal for a front-line pitcher, I'd not complain. Philip Humber, he's got potential and I'd like to see what he can do.

The bullpen, however, is where wholesale changes must occur. Billy Wagner is still the closer. Aaron Heilman I think I'd trade. He wants to be a starter, trade him for a starter or a couple decent middle relievers (or maybe a first baseman). Pedro Feliciano? What happened?! I'd keep him, but my leash isn't long for him. Joe Smith. Who cares? Frankly, at this point. Now that those last outs have occurred, I'm not sure which of them I care about. The 2007 Mets have earned their spot in history -- as the biggest chokers of all time!

1 comment:

Matt Sinclair said...

A friend made the comment that I should have moved the pitching up to the because that's where the chief problems are. He's right. I expect that the Mets rotation will be at least 3/5 different next season. Pedro will be back and probably Maine too, though he might be a valuable trade property during the off season, and that might be worth looking into. As I wrote, El Duque is done. Glavine should probably retire. Pelfrey is a question mark. Humber should be in the rotation. And if Johan Santana hasn't signed on the dotted line, find a way to get him out of Minneapolis. He'll excel in the National League. And the bullpen is where the majority of work must be done.