Friday, September 14, 2007

Chapter 66.7: Look, Up in the Sky!


I didn't see it, but the other night something bright streaked across the sky above New Mexico. According to SpaceWeather.com, some folks in New Mexico witnessed and filmed the disintegration of what must have been some massive piece of space junk. (Or was it a crashing UFO? How far away from Santa Fe is Roswell? Can the Northern Lights be viewed in New Mexico?) The description of the object being four times brighter than the moon is startling.

It reminded me of the day the spaceshuttle Columbia broke up in the skies above Texas. (Is it really four years ago already!) It was during the weekend, and for some reason I awoke very early needing to use the bathroom. I didn't have my glasses on and was startled by a brief burst of light in the night. Hours later, when I learned of the Columbia's tragic demise, I wondered if I might have inadvertently witnessed the after effects of the destruction, but the timelines don't match. Just a random burst of light, I suppose.

Either way, things like that keep me scanning the starry skies, waiting patiently for something fascinating to occur.

No comments: