Friday, December 28, 2007

Chapter 71.1: Easing Into 2008


Excuse me. I didn't mean to make all that noise as I sat down into a comfy chair to relax for four days. I'm sure I'll move again before the year is out, but I need these days off to regain some energy and the prospect of heading out for Amateur Night isn't making me all warm and fuzzy.

I have much to be happy about that I accomplished in 2007. I "refinished" my novel and I'll make some changes in early 2008 before actively pursuing representation. I also reached several other goals that I had set for myself. So, all in all, I feel pretty good about the passing year.

But 2008 will be mighty different, I believe. Politics will dominate every day discussions, as it did in 2006. The Iowa Caucus takes place in less than a week, for crying out loud. And given the dramatic, tragic assassination yesterday in Pakistan, I can't imagine that international politics -- and God forbid, terrorism -- will become another issue that becomes an increasingly common concern among thinking people.

Of course, there's only so much a person can worry about such things before becoming paralyzed by fear. So we deflect our concerns with meaningless things. Some choose popular culture, and while I'm not averse to a nice movie to divert my mind, I can't tolerate the current crop of morons who seem to captivate so many people. Instead, I'll enter 2008 the way I ended 2007: reading, writing, and solving puzzles.

I may blog again before the year is out, but if I my little thoughts don't cross your paths before the calendar page turns, may you all have a Happy New Year!

No comments: