Monday, September 29, 2008

Chapter 79.7: Tending to Your Magic Garden

With the financial world coming apart at the seams and the economy fibrillating like a bad heart, I found this blog post at the Skoll Foundation's site timely and somewhat interesting. It's a how-to piece for tending to your "social network."

Though clearly not among the top stories in terms of importance, the emergence of online social networks (see Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, etc.) as key tools for advancing oneself has been a trend of 2008 — and no, I don't have a Facebook or MySpace page, though I have real-life friends who would like me to have one. But the Skoll item offers a few really good points that shouldn't be forgotten, which I've put into my words rather than theirs: Meet people in real life; give, don't simply receive; keep connected; keep meeting new people; don't wait to start; invest in yourself.

That last one sounds way too "new agey" for my tastes, but it's not a bad recommendation. So, all you financial industry people out there, I wish you luck. We need you to succeed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt: I have to disagree with you (just a little)on the use of Facebook/MySpace-with family and friends being so far away it's a nice resource (I personally use Facebook only because its so user friendly and I don't need all the "extras" myspace seems to use)to keep in touch. With a sister in Australia, one in Boston a mother in NJ and friends/family scattered all over-its a place I can show off my "kids" and keep them updated on the goings ons of the Somers-Lopez household. Not having family near is hard and Facebook helps us keep in touch between phone calls. If I lived closer (like NJ) the need for Facebook wouldn't even be an issue-but used properly it can be a wonderful tool for keeping in touch! Think of it as our type of "blog" or coffee cup!

Matt Sinclair said...

Never a problem to disagree with me. But I don't think I was arguing against Facebook or those types of sites. You're right, they allow people to keep in touch when living great distances away. One of the friends who wants me to have one lives in Australia. But you're exactly right about looking like them as a blog; that's how I view it too. And with two blogs that I try to keep fresh, I just don't think I have the time to also do Facebook. But I'm happy that you guys keep in touch through my coffee cup.

Anonymous said...

Facebook (the easier & less cluttered of the two) may become something you may consider later on (wink)-but I guess what I was trying to say (expressing myself thru writing has always been a problem for me)-if used correctly & used WITH verbal communication (one on one) Facebook can be such a great "asset" and enhancement to keeping in touch. And Facebook, seriously, is so easy you may be surprised!