Thursday, May 26, 2011

Chapter 89.7: Nostalgia and Wandering

It's funny the things that can jog your memory. I was musing the other day about blogging and it occurred to me that this blog was coming up — indeed has passed — a milestone, a birthday. It was seven years ago that I started this blog. Seven years and two weeks now.

I was a different person way back in 2004. I wasn't yet a dad, though I very much wanted to be. I was barely making ends meet, which is the same as now, but I was still working in New Jersey and driving to work each day (remember when gas was less than $3 a gallon?) and supplementing my salary with a few umpiring gigs. They were fun but basically covered beer money for a week at best.

But one thing that has remained the same is writing. It is part of who I am and always has been, since the days I'd walk to kindergarten making up stories along the way.

I learned about this free blogging software and thought, why not? I didn't know about building a "platform" for myself as a writer. I'll admit I thought it might help me get noticed, but I knew then that it was difficult to be heard amid the maelstrom. It didn't bring in any money then and it doesn't now. (Note to self: disable google ads; they don't work for me.) But, like baseball, it's fun for me. I enjoy it and I'll do it for as long as I'm physically able.

So my blog is seven. Ta da! It still doesn't have a focus and I'm almost in need of a refill to my coffee cup. In just a few seconds I'll wander back down the hall to do just that. Along the way, I might spend a few seconds to think of what I could do in the next year of blogging here and at my other virtual rest stops. What will you blog about today?

6 comments:

writing and living by Richard P Hughes said...

I enjoy blogging. Seven years from now...I can't even imagine it.

Matt Sinclair said...

Thanks Richard. Yeah, the idea of 2018 is a tad daunting, but then again, I suspect 2011 would have scared me back in 2004 also.

Anonymous said...

My next blog post will be a funky photograph (June 7th) to entertain, provoke, amuse, whatever. Coffee sounds good. I'll get a cup and get to work!

Matt Sinclair said...

Excellent! I'll check it out, and thanks for commenting and leaving your mark.

BobSinc said...

Seven years is the timeframe in which every cell in your body is replaced. So, we are different people than we were seven years ago.

Matt Sinclair said...

Even brain cells? I guess I might be of a different mind in some ways.