Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Chapter 3.5: Post-Oxford Post

I have the beginning of an understanding why people from Mississippi love their state. It's truly a beautiful place -- at least the stretch of northern Mississippi that I have seen these past two years. The journalists got their money's worth, if only in terms of the barbecue they got to eat and music they could hear. I'd like to think they learned a few things as well from us "senior fellows" who made presentations. I wasn't nearly as nervous as I expected to be; I don't stand before "classrooms" often any more. It helped that I was making a dual presentation with Ann Andrews of Global Reach. I thought she did an excellent job.

Our presentation was "How to Know if You're Being Handled By the PR Department," and apparently there was a bit of buzz over the title. John Thomas, the retired communications vice president from Independent Sector, said he'd never seen the topic presented before. I suspect that as I follow through on my early stages of a book on nonprofit journalism I'll need to include many of the ideas from this presentation.

No comments: