Monday, July 05, 2004

Chapter 12.1: A Win from Right Field

The squad played a makeshift team of retired police officers and members of their families on July 4th. Since they still didn't have enough players, I "traded" some of our players to them to make two teams. These weren't bad players, either. I put a father and son on the cops, and both of them are decent players in this context. "Traded" isn't the right term of course, since we didn't get people back. But what we got in return was a pleasant game on a sunny holiday.

Normally, I make sure I'm in the center of the game, because I believe I can make a difference. This time, however, I put myself in right field. I could manage the game much more easily there, but there was little to manage. We won handily. I think the score was 15-2; they didn't score a run until their half of the sixth and final inning.

At the plate I hit two doubles, a single, and a home run in my final at bat. It was a little overkill, perhaps, but I rarely hit home runs, so I take them when I get them. Afterward we adjourned to the squad building for a wonderful picnic with our members, several police and firemen (including active squad members among them) and family and life members we tend to see only at this picnic and the annual dinner. Also there was our umpire, who cares as much about this summer tradition as any of the current squad members.

I'm glad to have finally won a "mayor's trophy" game; I've done it as a player and "assistant coach" with my brother, but though we've come close since he moved, this was the first win on July 4th since my brother moved. Perhaps I should retire now from running the club. I just don't have much time for organizing it. I'll worry about that some other day. We've got another game against the Springfield Squad next Sunday. Time to put together a winning streak!

No comments: