Sunday, July 11, 2004

Chapter 12.6: Different Position

The Summit Squad played the Springfield Squad in softball today for the first time in my 19-year tenure. It was our first road game in many years -- at least a decade.

I'm glad to say we won, 19-15. And I got my first pitching victory since I played Little League. I just didn't know who else might be able to pitch, so I took the responsibility on myself. I actually was able to throw strikes, which somewhat surprised me. What helped immensely was our scoring 10 runs in one inning -- several of them on small hits that barely reached the pitcher. At that point we were up 16-3 and I wanted to make sure we didn't embarrass anyone. I almost embarrassed ourselves by letting up too many runs.

They came as close as 16-15, but we scored three in the top of the 7th inning and I didn't give any more up in their last licks of the game.

I've not felt so "loved" on a baseball field since I was a kid. I'd forgotten how pleasant it is to hear teammates cheer for me and congratulate me for throwing a strike. It seems cheap and easy, but I got a thrill out of it. Not as much as I got when I hit a home run today in our 10-run inning, but a good feeling nonetheless.

I might have to pitch again.

No comments: