Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Chapter 59.2: Game Two

Crain's Business is reporting that the Mets' second game of the season garnered a 4.3 rating, which people are quoted as saying bodes well for the Mets and their SportsNet New York network. I must admit, I'm pretty excited about the season, and I hope my prediction of the Mets not getting to the World Series is wrong. Personally, I'd love to see a Mets/White Sox series, and I suspect much of the country would too. Jose Reyes, David Wright, Carlos Beltran, et al. versus Jermaine Dye, Jim Thome, and Joe Crede and the other south-siders? Seems like a nice matchup to me.

Not only would it be excellent baseball, but it would have nice symbolism, in my opinion. The Yankees are considered the aristocracy in New York, and despite nearly a century of losing (and the White Sox 2005 championship), the Cubs are the favorite sons of Chicago. But to have these two teams from the country's top two cities compete in the World Series ... it would warm my middle-class heart.

Of course, both teams spend more money on salaries in a year than I'll see in my lifetime, and I can't afford to go to too many games. So having a decent broadcast is a nice plus as I root, root, root for the Metsies.

No comments: