Thursday, April 12, 2007

Chapter 59.9: God Bless You, Mr. Vonnegut


Toward the end of last night's local news, it was mentioned that Kurt Vonnegut has died. Long one of my favorite writers, Vonnegut is an American classic. I've not read everything he's written, but I loved Cat's Cradle and the stories from Welcome to the Monkey House. Many of his works seem locked in the Cold War era in which they were written, but I believe a clever screenplay writer could adapt them to today's audience -- especially today's.

In fact, I believe today's audience needs to read Kurt Vonnegut to develop a better sense of perspective about the world in which we're living. I intend to expand upon that in a follow-up post, either here or on The Elephant's Bookshelf, where one of my first book reviews was about the Monkey House.

Here in New York, the sky is crying. So it goes.

Ad astra, Kurt.

No comments: