Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Chapter 11.5: I Don't Know -- Third Base

Played softball last night, starting at third. It's been several weeks since I last played there, but I actually felt pretty comfortable. I made the plays that came to me (with one exception, in which I short-hopped a throw to the second baseman, who didn't catch it). Even the umpire commended me for my play at third during the game, which surprised me. I was on the back end of a line-out double play, where the pitcher caught the liner and gunned it over to me. Frankly we both thought the runner had gotten back, but I'll take the umpire's word for it.

I think I prefer it to short and second. While the speed of the ball coming in can be disconcerting, there's not much time to think about it. You either make the play or you don't. One of the plays in which I didn't, my footing went out from under me. I was annoyed, but I couldn't do anything about it once the ball was into left field. Another advantage third has is that I'm generally not involved in many cut-offs. Occasionally I might have to take a throw from the left fielder, but the shortstop takes most of them. I'll relay information about whether to throw through to third or to cut and hold, but it's basically like being a destination spot. It's almost like being a catcher again!

The important part of last night's game, however, was not as positive. We got killed, 20-3. I scored one of the runs, having walked in my second plate appearance. I didn't get another one.

No comments: