Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Chapter 8.1: play time

I actually played in a game last night rather than watch from behind the plate. It's the Springfield modified league (like fast pitch softball, only with certain restrictions on the pitcher -- no windmill, for example). We lost, largely because it's a pitcher's league and our top pitcher wasn't there. I played second base. I've moved around the infield this year. I've started at second, third, and even shortstop. I've also played some outfield.

I'm starting to feel more comfortable at the plate now. I'd gotten so accustomed to hitting slow pitch, arc softball that I felt unsatisfied with an average below .700. But in modified I've been unable to hit consistently. Last night I struck out in my first at bat -- my second of the season. The second at bat I walked, but I didn't get beyond second base. I came up with men on base for my third plate appearance and hit the first pitch into the gap in right field. I don't know if the right-center fielder made an error or the ball skipped past him, but I ended up on second and if I'd been more confident in my speed (of which I have very little) I'd have made it to third. Two runs driven in -- that's what mattered to me. Though we staged a late comeback in the bottom of the seventh (and last) inning, we lost 13-9, or so.

I didn't run any miles at home. My brother Mike stayed at his sister-in-law's house. But I did write a few pages in the book. Perhaps I'm getting into a good routine.

No comments: