Friday, June 11, 2004

Chapter 7.5: Weak Beginnings

There's a phrase in Irish, "bíonn gach tosú lag," which means "every beginning is weak." It's a favorite phrase of mine. To me it implies growth from small beginnings and perspective of what even great beginnings can become; a fast start can fizzle just as quickly and thus prove its initial weakness. Circular reasoning, perhaps, but I like the phrase nonetheless.

I write this because from my fantasies nurtured on Shelter Island I am beginning again, weak though I may be. Though castigating myself in the previous post did not inspire actual writing that night, my brother Bob's gentle nudge on the marathon front also helped my writing. Bob sent me an article and a weekly mileage guide -- how many miles per day per week, including time to rest. It's an 18-week program that culminates with a 26.2 marathon (redundancy noted) on the final Sunday. What struck me was that the first week was only 15 miles. Three consecutive 3-mile runs, followed by a day of rest and a 6-mile long run on Saturday. I can do that now. There are actually two rest days and Sundays are intended for cross training, such as biking, walking, swimming, etc.

I'm beginning on week 20 (counting down), so I don't even need to keep to the 3,3,3, 6 week yet, though I might actually exceed it. Last night, after work, I jogged my 3-mile route in the muggy air waiting to break loose its rain. Tonight I'll jog either another 3 miles or perhaps 2.3, since I'll be using Saturday as a long day of at least 5 miles.

After dinner, with little on TV to distract me (I love re-run season!), I returned to the computer and re-opened my novel. I wrote two pages of what currently stands as chapter 12. I'm not saying it's perfect, first draft excellence. Perhaps none of it will remain weeks from now. It's a weak beginning. After getting through those pages, however, I designed a writing schedule based on the running regimen. The "rest" days will be for editing; anyone who writes understands that's not rest, but it's also not writing. For "cross training," I'll work on the Scottish articles, poetry, song lyrics, short stories, etc., that I often complain about not getting to finish.

Ultimately, the goal of running a marathon is much like writing a novel. But there's one notable difference: I intend to get the novel published and work on a second and a third and so on throughout my life. There's marketing to plan, agents to approach, knowledge to obtain.

Bíonn gach tosú lag.

No comments: