Monday, January 10, 2005

Chapter 30.45: Take the 7 Train to the Beltran

The Mets got Beltran! This should be one of the greatest acquisitions in the team’s history. Perhaps he’s not the player that Alex Rodriguez is, because A-Rod can hit for average as well as for power and used to play a position that is a bit more skills-oriented than center field (not to take anything away from center field, which is the key outfield position). But I think the acquisition of A-Rod would have altered the Mets in an unfavorable manner. You hear rumblings of that with the Yankees.

Beltran sounds like more of a team player, which should work on the Mets. I’ve said that I don’t think the Mets will win the division and I still believe that. I think they’ll fight for second place, but end up in third. Perhaps they’ll be killed by former teammate Al Leiter, whose Marlins should be able to take second, I think. The division is not overly strong, but I expect the Braves to take it once more.

Yet, the Beltran deal puts the division and the league on notice: The Mets are really trying.

No comments: