Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Chapter 31.45: Impassive About the Nominations

Just a quick comment: I'm not overly surprised that the Motion Picture Academy neglected to nominate The Passion of the Christ for any of the most significant nominations it might have received (best picture, best director, best actor). I'm a little surprised it wasn't at least given a nod in best foreign language film, but I don't follow foreign films, so those five might be very deserving.

The movie did not surprise me either, as my Catholic background pretty well indoctrinated me to the beating that Jesus received at the hands of the Romans. It was intense, certainly, but it included much of what I knew from the gospels.

This film snub will likely annoy people, which we'll hear about in the news today, then again around Easter. But the MPA's impassivity strikes me as predictable.

1 comment:

Matt Sinclair said...

Also predictable: No nominations for Farenheit 9/11.