Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Chapter 34.05: The Race Begins

Ok, this will almost certainly be the last West Wing item for a while, since tonight's episode was the season finale, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Democratic ticket for next fall's campaign shows. I wasn't too surprised at Jimmy Smits's Matthew Santos character getting the nod; I think Martin Sheen's President Bartlet liked him all along. But I never considered Leo McGarry as the vice presidential nominee. That was a complete surprise to me.

To me, it means that Alan Alda will not win the election. He's done a decent job as the Republican nominee -- a likeable character who appeals to both sides of the aisle. But I don't think the West Wing folks would have included Leo on the ticket unless they were going to have the Democrats win. I wouldn't be surprised if the election's as tight as 2000, however.

Assuming Santos/McGarry win, I’ve got a couple predictions and questions about characters in a Santos administration: chief of staff would be Josh Lyman, who led the campaign; Toby Ziegler might be in prison if he’s found to be the leak of national security secrets (or perhaps C.J. Cregg is, if it’s her). Perhaps Will Bailey takes over Josh’s old deputy COS for politics. If C.J.’s not in prison, does she remain in the White House? I’m not sure. I doubt she’d do the press secretary job again, and I don’t expect her to get the COS job for Santos. Perhaps she takes over Toby’s role as director of communications. Who becomes press secretary, Donna Moss or the perky, annoying short woman (Annabeth)?

Does Charlie Young marry Zoe Bartlet? (That strikes me as the jump the shark episode. Another potential shark could swim in the form of a White House infant, since Santos and his wife have been shown trying to fool around during the campaign.) And to what extent will we see former President Bartlet diminish? Would there be an episode in which Rob Lowe’s Sam Seaborn character is approached for a role in the new administration? Will we ever see Dr. McNally again or do we end up counting the times Mary McCormack’s hair style changes? When will Vice President McGarry have another heart attack?

I realize that the show has become somewhat like a soap opera, but I’ve enjoyed watching the development of many of these characters. There’s energy out there to write a new adminstration

No comments: