Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Chapter 34.3: The Pope and Our Lady of the Underpass

An odd conjunction of stories today. The big news, of course, is the election of Pope Benedict XVI, the former Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger. As a practicing Catholic, I'm pleased to have a new leader of the church. I admit he's been portrayed as more conservative than I would prefer, but time will tell. His enrollment in the Hitler Youth as a child sounds horrible to me, but articles have indicated it was mandatory for boys then and that his family was anti-Nazi. I'm still trying to figure out how this pope fits in with St. Malachy's prediction that the pope after J.P. II would be born Jewish; it's why I thought the French cardinal would be selected. Again, time will tell.

After the news of the new pope, I noticed a story in the Chicago Tribune about an odd water stain image that to some appears to be the Virgin Mary.

I looked at the picture the paper showed. What concerned me was not the image but the grafitti nearby that said "Satan Loves." I have no idea which of those things occurred first, the man made words or the natural water stain, but it just seemed off.

No comments: