Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Chapter 34.09: Spoil Sport

Ok, first off, I want to apologize to loyal reader John (loyal reader in the sense that he's read the blog more than once.) I expected that as a loyal WW viewer, he'd have already seen the season finale, and that my recent update wouldn't be the spoiler that it was. Sorry.

So, now on to something that will only spoil themselves: The Mets.

I had the pleasure of attending the home opener yet again. The crowd was ready for something different than the Art Howe era. The team has sucked like a newborn the first week of the season, and they started yesterday's game without offering much hope of anything different. Tom Glavine kept them in a game they seemed destined to lose. But they put a rally together on soft hits and aggressive play. It helped that the Astros couldn't catch fly balls to the outfield, and they eventually brought in John Franco to face his old team (and fans eager to watch him give up crucial runs as they were accustomed to seeing him do).

Their victory gave them a 2-5 record. Rather crappy. It'll get better, and statistically speaking it should get much better. Winning two of seven means they have a .286 winning percentage. I think they'll do better than that. 85-89 wins is my prediction. Third place in the NL East, at best. I've said it before, and I still believe it's true. I like Doug Mientkeiwicz (or however it's spelled) and Carlos Beltran. I've been pleasantly surprised by Pedro Martinez so far. But their pitching is worse now than it was in February when they arrived at camp. The injury to Steve Trachsel is devastating, if for no other reason than they won't get his 200+ innings out of Aaron Heilman or Jae So.

We should enjoy our victories, Mets fans. They won't come in abundance.

No comments: