Friday, May 18, 2007

Chapter 61: Let's Go Mets!

I will refrain from hitting the Yankees when they're down, because truth be told, they're not in such bad shape, even though they're about to lose two out of three to my Mets. They're only three games under .500, and they've got the hitting that could create a massive offensive onslaught against opposing pitchers. However, I believe it's their pitching that is their biggest challenge. And the return of Roger Clemens won't be much help -- some yes, but not as much as the desperate Yankees fans I know are expecting.

The problem as I see it is that more than half of their starters are barely able to get through five innings -- which leaves their mediocre bullpen overworked. This is nothing new to the ears of New Yorkers, and most teams have overworked bullpens.

But the Red Sox staff and pen are superior, so the only way the Yankees will overcome them is for the Sox to have a major meltdown. Still, I believe the Yankees can get into wildcard contention. Theirs is a team built for a successful regular season, and now there's serious question whether they can accomplish that. A staff of Clemens, Pettitte, Mussina, Wang, and a random fifth starter can still be successful. The four main guys are all smart pitchers, but if they get to the playoffs, I'm sure it'll come down to Torre deciding to remove one of his starters with one out in the sixth inning to shut down the opposing offense, and then it's off to the races. That bullpen as it's currently constructed isn't going to scare anyone.

As for my Mets, I believe this weekend will be a pleasant few days at home. I don't think they will sweep, but their hitters are starting to put together some hot streaks, and slumping veterans are awakening from their slumbers. It's time to start winning in bunches and building a lead over the steady Braves and surging Phillies. I obviously am biased, but I think the Mets are the best team in the league. I like the Brewers, too, and those few who read my pre-season predictions will note that I said before the season began that they could surprise people.

But wistfully wondering about the Mets' chances in the post-season is premature. This weekend is about New York: Mets vs. Yankees, and all the bragging rights (unimportant though they are) that come with it. Enjoy, baseball fans.

Note: You folks in Chicago (you know who you are) should have a great series this weekend, too. I think the White Sox haven't shown what they're capable of doing. Are any of their starters hitting over .300 yet? And the Cubs aren't as bad as they've shown (but they are close).

No comments: